TEACHER ASSISTANT VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
We run an international teacher assistant volunteer program that helps the teachers and children of the rural multi-grade school of Rust Stasie and surrounding farm schools.
There is a great need for help at the schools for teacher’s assistants during the week and at One Heart’s Rural Family Resource Center for weekend programs and after school activities. The helpers do not necessarily have to be teachers or teacher students, but it will be to a great advantage if they are.
Thus we are introducing a Teacher Assistant Program where we can help young, inexperienced teachers/students that seek experience and that can assist in helping the school and the foundation due to a lack of human resources.
What will be expected of the teacher assistant volunteer?
- To be a Teacher assistant in the school classroom
- To be a Volunteer to One Heart for Youth Outreach Programs that includes coordinating and facilitating of programs. / One Heart will give training and instructions
- To coordinate and facilitate Youth Outreach Programs that promote social emotional development with the following topics:
Leadership, Taking Ownership, Social behaviour and social ethics, Sport and Health, Healthy living and eating
Program Objective for the Children / Youth:
- Social interaction on a different level than used to.
- Broadening of their horizons.
- Shaping the child’s moral and social values through fun activities.
- Learning to take ownership.
- Learning to be future leaders.
- Learning about social behaviour and ethics
- Learning to take care of their health and bodies.
- Learning to live and eat healthy.
Program Objective for the Volunteer:
- Experience for future teaching career.
- Experience in a multi-grade school will improve the student’s delegation skills.
- Experience in working with children of different ages in one classroom.
- Experience in coordinating of projects.
- Experience in cross cultural communications
- Experience in teaching on different subjects of worth and interest over weekends for the Youth Outreach Programs.
- Satisfaction through being a part of shaping a child’s future.
Program Objective for the School
- Adding to human resources
- Give help to children that needs extra attention when teacher needs to continue with the next grade
- Lightning the work load of teachers dealing with multiple grades per classroom
Program Objective for One Heart Foundation
- Adding to human resources
- Providing coordinators and facilitators for Youth Outreach Programs that is well organized, facilitated and progression recorded.
- Enable the foundation to give more help to the children of the community.
- Be field workers for One Heart at the school and report cases that needs attention for social or counselling services.
- Enable the foundation to shape the leaders of the future into becoming well educated adults on different levels of society.
Program Objective for the Sponsor
- Marketing your company through our newsletters, website and Facebook
- Marketing your company on our premises
- Giving teacher/students/volunteers an opportunity of a life-time
- Helping struggling rural school/s with human resources
- Helping a PBO with human resources to promote more projects to shape the future
WHAT TO EXPECT?
On your first day of volunteering, you will be escorted to your placement by the local coordinator and introduced to the placement staff you will be working with.
Weekdays: A typical volunteer day would be as follows:
|7:00||Wake Up at the volunteer house|
|8:00||Volunteers leave home and travel to their placements. Work and hours are dependent on the project and placement that each volunteer is working at.|
|12:00 – 13:00||Lunch break. Volunteers take a packed lunch to their placements, prepared in the morning.|
|14:00 – 15:00||Work at the placement usually ends. Volunteers are free to travel back to the volunteer house, go for a swim at the volunteer house, sight-seeing, or do some shopping in the nearby towns which is Moorreesburg, 17km and Malmesbury, 19km from the volunteer house.|
|18:00||Supper at the volunteer house|
On the weekends, if we don’t have programs running or with prior arrangement, volunteers have spare time to relax or take the opportunity to explore the Swartland, Cape Town or other areas in South Africa. Long weekends can be taken if volunteers wish to go on safari, or travel. These arrangements will be for your own planning and expense.
Program Fee = R5900.00 (once-off)
- airport pick up and drop off
- Work placement
- Coordinating activities
Accommodation & Food = R7400.00 / month
- Fully furnished shared accommodation for up to 8 volunteers on the premises of One Heart founders, Johan and Selene.
- Self-catering with supplied fresh groceries weekly
- Satelite TV
- Swimming Pool
Considering exams and holidays, the following time table will serve as a guide when the best times will be to come abroad for teaching:
First Term: Beginning of February to 3rd week in March
Second Term: Middle April to Middle June
Third Term: Middle July to 3rd week in September
Fourth Term: Middle October to Middle November
If, however you cannot be abroad on these dates, but you really want to do a voluntary project with children, please just communicate with us and we can consider a holiday program if your dates fall in the holidays and not in exam time.
Volunteers do not need to be qualified or experienced teachers to participate in this program.